The white knuckle terror and majesty of the open ocean is presented to audiences in remarkable 3D, in the true story of the USS Essex – the inspiration for Henry Melville’s Moby Dick.
Director Ron Howard and Director of Photography Anthony Dod Mantle strove to bring a highly stylised look to the historical epic – taking their creative cues from famous impressionist painters of the period setting and giving the film an amazingly inspired look.
The nature of the film called on Chris Parks and the Vision3 team to overcome some of the most challenging scenarios for effective 3D – water effects, intricate rigging on the ships, and thrilling sequences in low light – resulting in a film that thrusts audiences into the centre of the action.
A key sequence midway through the film focussed on the effects of the lead characters stranded at sea and at the point of starvation. Using 3D, Chris Parks was able to fully demonstrate to audiences the visceral impact these conditions would create – specifically the textures of skin, hair and muscles.At the other end of the spectrum, the scale and behaviour of the huge waves were explored in 3D – and the Vision3 team worked to ensure even the slightest detail of life at sea was showcased like never before.
Watch the special 3D featurette here
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Warner Bros (2017)
- One More Time With Feeling Iconoclast (2017)
- In the Heart of the Sea Warner Bros (2015)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Warner Bros. (2016)
- Pan Warner Bros. (2015)
- Jupiter Ascending Warner Bros (2015)
- Edge of Tomorrow Warner Bros (2014)
- Conquest Of The Skies with David Attenborough Colossus Productions (2014)
- David Attenborough’s Natural History Museum Alive Colossus Productions (2014)
- Gravity Warner Bros (2013)
- Jack the Giant Slayer Warner Bros (2013)
- Inside The Mind of Leonardo IWC Media (2013)
- 3D Olympics BBC Sports (2012)
- Penguins 3D with David Attenborough Atlantic Productions / Sky 3D (2012)
- Mr Stink BBC (2012)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Walt Disney Pictures (2011)
- Flying Monsters 3D with David Attenborough Atlantic Productions / Sky 3D (2011)
- TT3D: Closer To The Edge CinemaNX / Isle of Man Film (2011)
- Horrid Henry Novell Entertainment / Vertigo Films (2011)
- Magic Silver II Storm Rosenberg Films (2011)
- Sony: MultiStory Gorgeous (2011)
- KM3D AnOther Magazine (2010)
- The Foundling RSA Films (2010)
- Microsoft Office E+P Commercial (2010)